Monday, 18 April 2016

Vintage Girl Gang - Bye Bye Bailey

Over the last few months I've been recapping all our current members of the Vintage Girl Gang, giving them the recognition and vintage loving they deserve. Currently at eight members, all as delectably lovely as the next. I really like watching what the girls are getting upto, personally and professionally (their "professionally" sometimes leaves me bankrupt, mind). 

Since having some time out to recap the members, I've been approached by a few people who want to join in the gang and share their love of vintage, kitsch, retro and antique STUFF in their lives. 

Our latest recruit to the Vintage Girl Gang, is one of those ladies. Bye Bye Bailey got in touch with me through a 1940's & 1950's page on that there Facebook, asking if she could come and be vintage with us. Having a gander through her page, I knew she'd fit right in!

 

Why Vintage for you and how did you get into the scene?
I don't know why, but I always looked at Vintage clothing and thought it looked lovely, but not for me. Perhaps I wrote it off because of my size. In fact, for 5 out of the 7 years I've modelled I did mainly gothic alternative which was great fun but didn't take me anywhere. I did my first shoot for a vintage company called Silly Old Sea Dog back in 2014, and I was styled up totally by the creatives there. Never have I felt more comfortable than I did looking like that, so I soon filled up my portfolio with vintage and retro, and I am so pleased with the direction it's taken me. I took the step last year to wear mainly vintage on a daily basis. I love the spring it puts in my step going out every day.




Where do you buy your beautiful clothes?
It's a mixture, for me! There are some repro dresses in my wardrobe from Lindy Bop, Lady Vintage, Collectif and Silly Old Sea Dog, nestled between pieces from the vintage boutiques in Truro, Cornwall; Tootsie andTiger, and Enjoy Boutique. I also have some vintage pieces from my mum, and a handmade item using vintage Liberty fabric that has been worn by me for about 10 years now.



Some of the shoots you take part in are stunning, how do they come together?
Thank-you! Well, lately I've been organising them myself, around articles I've written for Vintage Life magazine. 



Over about 7 years I've worked with a few models, photographers, hair and make-up artists and some of these I do keep in my “work with again” list and call upon, or I use some of the networking groups either on Facebook or portfolio websites like Purple Port to find new creatives. They're good fun, but can be stressful work organising several people at once. They're entirely worth it to see them in the flesh and in print.



What's your favourite genuine vintage dress?
Definitely a floral 50s number from Enjoy Clothing in Truro – it fits like it was made for me and looks great with or without a petticoat I find. This particular one I picked up when they ran a catwalk; when I saw it on me I asked to take it off their hands and take it home!




What's your favourite vintage home item?
I have a lovely set of dark stained pinewood drawers here from the 70s; they're items that were well looked after by my partner's parents before they came to live with me; not especially ornate or stylish but built sturdily and made to last. It's either this, or my teacup and saucer; made by Royal Worcester and found in a local flea-market.




You pride yourself on being a wonderfully curvy girly, do you find it easy to discover vintage clothes in your size (I seriously struggle because I'm not as well endowed with a chest, so I look very boyish) 
It can be quite tough to find genuine vintage in my size but such a joy when I do! I have a typically hourglass figure but with proportions not common for the time. I tend to stick to 50s as I love the shape, and it can be a little bit more accommodating of a bigger bust and hip! I try to look in charity shops for hidden gems, else I look at vintage fabrics I can re-appropriate. It can be a bit of a mission but I suppose nothing worth having is easy, right?


* KLAXON* REVERSIBLE VINTAGE CAPE!! *KLAXON*

Who is your ultimate vintage inspiration and why? 
Tough one! I think I like Bettie Page best. For her wonderful style, but also for her cheeky character! In her heyday she was girl-next-door beautiful. Cheeky, immediately accessible but irresistibly beautiful. I feel like they broke the mould when they made Bettie.




Well, Bye Bye Bailey sure does love to doll up! Wearing vintage everyday is a mean feat and we SALUTE her for it, by slapping some Pigeon #VintageGirlGang stripes on them there cheeks!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Aldi PANdemonium

This week instagram has gone all hearts-for-eyes over some pans. We all crave a bit of Catherine Holm's classic and bold kitchenalia. ...