Fixing and Doing - Retro Foot Stool

We do loads of upcycling here at Pigeon Villa and I want to keep sharing what we do with you all. You may have read a while ago about the chairs we fixed up in preparation for sale. I mentioned then and will repeat unapologetically that we do love a bit of fixing and doing at Pigeon Villa. 

It's become second nature to spot the potential in old furniture and notice areas to revive and reuse hand-downs, skip-raids and house clearance items. 


This little raggedy Anne was one of the latter. A cute 1960's foot stool that had been covered by the previous owner. There were a few marks and the fabric was fusty and didn't compliment the slim slender and much sought after dansette legs.


As soon as I got this one home, I knew precisely which piece of fabric I'd be hunting down from my ever growing stash of vintage and retro material. 



This blue, purple and green bit of gorgeousness was part of a stash I bought during a "cheer me up" trip to Horncastle, last summer. It's a pair of large curtains that don't fit anywhere in the house and the curtain tabs are very worn. They're one of those items that I always put a bigger price tag on at fairs, knowing that I'd much rather keep the fabric for this type of project, so I'm glad the stool rocked up when it did.

I had a stall at LouLou's Vintage Fair at The Baths Hall that weekend, and it was already Friday afternoon, so I wanted to crack on with reviving the stool so I could take it with me. 

I stripped the fabric carefully to make sure I could use the original as a template for the new. 
It seemed, once bare, this cutey revealed she was entirely handmade. The family we bought it from had explained that their Dad was an amateur carpenter, often taking furniture to pieces to reuse elsewhere in the house. It seemed, he was having a go at upholstery, too!


The two foams were glued together with some sort of expanding glue, meaning I didn't have to worry about them shifting when recovering. They weren't stuck to the wooden base though, so I used some leftover carpet spray glue to hold the foam in place.


Laying the original down on the new fabric, meant I would definitely get the right coverage and shape.


I decided to put the old cover back on, after a quick hoover  and hand wash. It was in ok condition to provide some padding and keep the edge of the stool smooth and rounded. I turned it over, to make sure the raised pattern wouldn't come through.


I stapled the fabric down with a staple gun, and then flattened to prevent bumps, using one of StanleyPigeon's toy hammers!

I added another layer of padding with some old wadding I had kicking about in a craft box. There was just enough to cover and it was so light and easy to use now there was the extra  layer protecting from the rough old sponge.

I knew my book binding skills would come in handy at some point in my life!
The wadding really made it feel more professional than just covering the stool in a fabric. It means that wear and tear will be less likely and the stool is more comfortable. It protects the new fabric from the old one, too.

I wasn't happy with these corners or overlap at all, but with the way the stool had been originally made, it was tricky to ensure a good clean edge from all angles, without having to overlap onto the leg brackets.
Once all those staples had been flattened out with Stan's toy hammer, I polished the legs up and popped them back on. We were over the moon with how it turned out and felt a bit attached to it immediately.


The stool drew a lot of attention at the fair, but eventually made it's way to meanwhile... where it only lasted two days, before being snapped up by a very happy customer who is adding it to her new living room that has a bohemian vibe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Girl Gang - JennaBellaDingDong

We're All Mad Here

2016 Pigeon Style